SCO Unix: few bugs but bad features

Bill England wengland at stephsf.stephsf.com
Sat Sep 15 05:35:31 AEST 1990

In article <26EFE2A9.CC4 at tct.uucp> chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to oscar at eismond.uucp (Carsten Tschach):
[...]
>C2 security is a nightmare for support.  Imagine trying to debug
>permission problems when both system programs and the *kernel* care
>*which* user and group you are, and grant different permissions for
>each.  Ah for the good old days, when the only choices were
>"superuser" and "peon"...

  You can turn off most of the C2 features.  I did and then I turned
  some of them back on (login expirations and password/terminal security
  features.)  C2 does add a new dimension to Unix administration and one
  which is becoming more asked about by businesses as 'Hacker-phobia'
  sweeps the world.

  I really like what you can do with user/group combinations.  It is
  kind of reminisent of the (ancient) RSTS-E scheme where student
  accounts could access some files in the profs directory. (Remember
  [100,52] vs account [100,0]).

  As for bugs ... well the micosoft C compiler is kind of odd but,
  not really buggy, besides there is the ATT compiler 'rcc' that
  will usually compile what Microsoft can not.  (At least the Microsoft
  C compiler supports ansi extentions.)

  Some of the software development problems I have encountered are a
  result of multiple libraries with identical routines in different
  formats.  These libs are there to support Unix/Xenix/DOS developement
  all on the same machine.  Trade offs I guess ...

  IMHO for all the software you get SCO-ODT is a super bargin.

  Of course you can _always_ piece ODT together from the seperate
  venders as you need it.

 +--------
 |  Bill England
 |  Stephen Software Systems, Inc.,   Tacoma Wa.
 |  wengland at stephsf.com              +1 206 564 2122

  * *      H -> He +24Mev
 * * * ... Oooo, we're having so much fun making itty bitty suns *
  * *