What real world write speed to an Exabyte can I expect?

Larry Williamson larry at focsys.uucp
Thu Sep 13 14:11:56 AEST 1990

I must write > 1 Gigabyte of data to a tape on a 386 system running
Unix 3.2. It may be either an ISA bus (or EISA bus system if a scsi
controller is available). I expect to use an Exabyte drive (what else
would be faster?), an adaptec 1542 controller (for both tape and
disk).

What data rate should I expect to be able to maintain for the duration
of the write?

More importantly, how long would an operator expect to wait before
they could remove the tape?

-Larry