Use Microsoft Serial mouse with COMPAQ 486/25 on SCO 3.2.2

Dion L. Johnson dionj at sco.COM
Thu Sep 20 01:07:00 AEST 1990

In article <SHIMIZU.90Sep17095841 at jitgmn.enet.dec.com- shimizu at jitgmn.enet.dec.com (Hidetoshi Shimizu) writes:
->	 I installed Xsight and TCP/IP on 486/25. But I can't use a Microsoft
->	 Serial mouse. I connected a mouse to pointer interface at back panel.
->	 So I selected #2(Microsoft serial mouse) and tty01 and serial port
->	 /dev/tty1a, when mkdev mouse.
-	This problem closed myself.
-	I connected a mouse into a serial port on DESKPRO 486/25.
-	But DESKPRO 486/25 has a mouse I/F. I'd like to use a this I/F.
-
-	I selected a device of Microdoft bus mouse when mkdev mouse. And
-	reboot a unix. Then I start a startx command but unix was occued
-	error "Open driver faild::No such device or address".
-
-	What a driver must I select to use a Microsoft Serial mouse into a
-	mouse I/F on DESKPRO 486/25.
---
-Hidetoshi Shimizu
-Financial-2 EIC

You're not using the correct mouse interface.  The pointer interface on
Compaq Deskpros is a keyboard mouse port, similar to what IBM provides
on PS/2s, which means that you must select the keyboard mouse entry when
running mkdev mouse.  It should work then; I've tried it on variety of
Deskpros (386s, 386/20e, 386/25, and 486/25).
---
Wu Liu -- Member, Technical Staff       The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
UUCP:      ...!uunet!sco!wul            400 Encinal St.
Internet:  wul at sco.COM                  Santa Cruz, CA  95061