Adding IDE drive to ISC 2.2 on ESDI

Dave McLane davidg%aegis.or.jp at kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri May 24 20:49:27 AEST 1991

tim at dell.co.uk (Tim Wright) writes:

> If you *really* want to do this then here's how. Ignore the onboard IDE
> controller, go buy a plug-in IDE controller (they shouldn't be too
> expensive since they're pretty simple). You can change the I/O addresses
> on the IDE controller to the secondary HD addresses. Now you only need to
> change the IRQ from 14 to 15. Ready ...
> cut the track from 14 and solder across a wire from 15 to the board (i.e.
> not bus) side of the cut track. You now have a *secondary* IDE controller
> for your machine.
> It works (at least with ISC 2.0.2).
> I've done it :-)

Hmmmm, this sounds like it would do what I wanted in the first place:
my current ESDI as the primary drive and the addon IDE the secondary
drive.

Question #1: No conflict with the on-board IDE controller on a Dell
             System 333D?

Question #2: Anybody know where I can get a plug-in IDE? Name,
             address, int'l tel/fax numbers if you would....

--Dave