Scheme & 386 Unix

Thomas Hoberg tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de
Wed May 8 02:33:53 AEST 1991

In article <PBROWN.91Apr25153256 at vtopus.cs.vt.edu>, pbrown at vtopus.cs.vt.edu (Patrick R. Brown) writes:
|> I am looking for a version of the Scheme programming language which
|> has been ported to 386 Unix (I have ESIX 5.3.2D, but that's probably
|> not that important).  Two of the better-known versions, MIT Scheme and
|> Yale's T don't seem to support the 386.  I have gotten a smaller
|> interpreter called "scm," but I'm afraid it's a little _too_ small.
|> Any information would be appreciated.

Oliver Laumann of the Berlin Technical University has written a Scheme
interpreter called ELK. It's public domain, it's been posted, it's small and
extendable--and it runs on a 386. It contains bindings for X, Xt and Motif and
on OSs, that support dynamic linking, it will allow extensions to be loaded at
run time. The interpreter can be dumped and restarted from disk any time.
The Berlin Technical University does not maintain an FTP archive, but I just
checked with uunet and its available there at version 1.2. Version 1.3 isn't
released yet. I think it's a darn good hack.
|> Pat
|> --
|> --
|> Patrick R. Brown                 __    _________
|> email: pbrown at csgrad.cs.vt.edu   \ \  / ___  __/  Virginia Tech:
|> smail: 375 New Kent Rd.           \ \/ /  / /     "Po but Proud"
|>        Blacksburg, VA  24060       \__/  /_/      (703) 552-4016

-- tom
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh at bigfoot.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub at tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET at DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh at tub.BITNET