mkfontdir under DECwindows

Dirk Grunwald grunwald at flute.cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 4 04:03:24 AEST 1989

I found out how to install fonts under DECwindows.

The DECwindows server doesn't use a fonts.dir file; when you specify
an additional font path (who knows how you do this if you don't have
xset from the MIT tape), the server reads that directory and does
the equivilent of a mkfontdir right then.

This is, of course, very slow, but I suppose that it only gets done
on login. However, one could certainly imagine more clever schemes
to maintain a cached copy of that information that is rebuilt whenever
it's determined that it might be out of date.

Also, it appears that, under DECwindows, when you request a font that
isn't available, it simply gives you *something* -- before properly
installing the ``cmr10.85'' font used by texx2, I did ``xfd -fn cmr10.85''
and got back another font -- certainly not the one I asked for, nor
an error message.

--
Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Illinois 		  (grunwald at flute.cs.uiuc.edu)