C to Fortran translator needed

johnston%lbl-csam at sri-unix.UUCP johnston%lbl-csam at sri-unix.UUCP
Sat Mar 10 04:58:10 AEST 1984

From:  (Bill Johnston [csam])johnston at lbl-csam

Using RATFOR as a C to FORTRAN translator substitute will certainly only be
useful if the original C code was isomorphic to FORTRAN,
since RATFOR has the data structures of FORTRAN, not C.

Reguarding RATFOR on an 8088 system, there is a small outfit in El Cerrito, CA
(Carousel Microtools, 609 Kearney St., 415/528-1300 - no relation to me, address
provided for information only) which supplies a complete set of
the Software Tools (a much expanded version of the original
Kernighan and Plauger set).
Carousel's offering includes all of the primitives (as binary),
the shell, RATFOR processor, editor, etc. (as source)
for a variety of microcomputer systems, including MS/PC DOS.
(I believe that some, if not all, of the more sophisticated primitives, like
the dynamic memory allocators, depend upon a particular FORTRAN compiler
(Microsoft, I believe).)

For anyone who cannot run UNIX on their 8086/8088 system, the
Software Tools provide a lot of UNIX style functionality.

   Bill [johnston at lbl-csam]