Fix Needed for 4.2 Pseudo-Tty Driver

ed at sfucmpt.UUCP ed at sfucmpt.UUCP
Thu May 17 06:40:36 AEST 1984

Greetings:

I have a bunch of emacs users here who have a problem sending an
EOT (^D to the rest of you) to a subprocess, such as a shell, since
there appears to be a deficiency (bug) in the pseudo-tty stuff in
Unix 4.2. Exactly, a write of a zero length record on the master pty
does not cause an EOT to be seen on the slave pty (which is connected to
a csh, typically).

For further info, see TIOCREMOTE in the manual entry for pty(4).
The fact that it is documented in pty(4) doesn't help me out much.

Is there a hack to emacs, the pty driver, etc which will solve this
problem.

Thanks in advance,

Ed Bryant
Systems Programmer
Lab for Computer and Communications Research
Simon Fraser University
(604)291-4430 / (604)291-4704

 ... uw-beaver!ubc-vision!sfucmpt!ed