Daylight Savings Time

Dave Sewhuk dave at rocksvax.FUN
Sat Dec 14 11:27:00 AEST 1985

/* rocksvax:net.unix-wizards / warren at tikal.UUCP (Warren Seltzer) / 10:46 pm  Dec 10, 1985 */
>This sort of thing is necessary if you have a network that passes around
>time-stamped records that are supposed to be user-compatible and viewable
>at different spots in the net.

Why bother with time zones.  Make everyone talk UTC, where there
is no DST.  Time zones are an artifact of the routines that
finally print out the time.  That is how Unix does it in general.

Here at Xerox all our time servers know their local time zone and pass
only UTC times around.  Our networks go all over the planet and few
machines get confused over what time something happened.

Dave

arpa: Sewhuk.HENR at Xerox.ARPA
uucp: {ihnp4,rochester,amd,sunybcs}!rocksvax!dave
ns: "Sewhuk:HENR801C:Xerox".ns at Xerox.ARPA