Why is UUCP Notoriously Unreliable?

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Sun Dec 1 01:48:51 AEST 1985

In article <3041 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
>I believe "ihnp4" is running the famous "honey danber" UUCP; this is
>available from AT&T with the "Basic Networking Utilities" package (whether
>that's just a binary package for the 3Bs, or an add-on source package for
>all systems like Documenter's Workbench is, I dunno).  With any luck, it'll
>be the standard UUCP in some future S5 release.

Honey danber, I seem to recall, is currently available from AT&T
as BNU at some steep price.  AT&T IS Greensboro has recently sent
out a letter to its "valued customers" telling them that this will
be a standard part of sVr3.0 and the "interim porting release"
sVr2.1.  Yay.  The same letter announces that they are "changing
their porting base" from the VAX-11/780 to the 3B2.  What that
concretely means is unclear, as they do  n o t  say explicitly
that they are dropping support for the VAX.  Maybe they are just
making it official that new features on the 3B's appear more slowly
on VAXen?  (hope not dropping support ...)  However, the rest of
the letter strongly tried to sell the valued customer some 3B2's.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}