Can't seem to generate SIGIO. What's the trick?

Don Libes libes at nbs-amrf.UUCP
Tue Dec 10 09:40:04 AEST 1985

> Ok, I give up.  What's the trick to getting a SIGIO signal?

Thanks very much to Bill Shannon (sun!shannon) for giving me the missing
piece.  His reply was:

	You need to do

		fcntl(fd, F_SETOWN, getpid());

	to set the owner of the fd to you so you'll be the one to get
	the SIGIO.

I refuse to admit how much time I spent reading and rereading the manual
looking for the solution.  I think I'll mark the spot in my manual where
this is so clearly documented with a large ax.

Don Libes       {seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!libes