magic numbers? (teach me, please)

Mats Wichmann mats at fortune.UUCP
Wed Dec 11 06:02:51 AEST 1985

68000 magic numbers? Well...

This is what appears in the header file from Motorola (and AT&T) these days:

#define	MC68MAGIC	0520
#define	MC68TVMAGIC	0521
#define	M68MAGIC	0210
#define	M68TVMAGIC	0211

The M68 stuff and all the TV (transfer vector) things have to
do with AT&T-internal development - the multiprocessor
switches and those things, if I am not mistaken. So there is
really only one magic number for the 68000 family that gets used.
(MC68MAGIC).

As far as #defines go, the "party line" is:

m68k is for the family
M68000 M68010 M68020 M68881 and such identify a particular chip.

Variations:
as many as you can think of.
For example, Unisoft at one time used mc68000, but later
switched to m68000 (and may now be using m68k).
And So On. I think MIT used mc68000, so people who
started with their code as a base probably used
mc68000 at least for a while....

    Mats Wichmann
    Fortune Systems
    {ihnp4,hplabs,dual}!fortune!mats