A variant of the streams idea

Nathaniel Mishkin mishkin at apollo.uucp
Tue Dec 31 05:18:29 AEST 1985

In article <3886 at ut-sally.UUCP> ark at sally.UUCP (Arthur M. Keller) writes:
>I would argue that what you have really done is implemented the concept
>of streams using the concept of objects.  Since the concept of objects
>is at least as powerful as arbitrary procedure calls, this is not too
>surprising.

I just want to point out that I don't think I claimed to have invented
the concept of object.  In fact, my original message contained:

    Basically, every "object" (read "file" if you're not familiar with
    the Smalltalk/object-oriented view of the world) has a type ...

Also, I guess I assumed that since stream I/O is one of the classic
application areas of object-oriented style, I didn't need to point out
that I didn't come up with that idea either.

One thing I think I would like to claim as being novel is the application
and implementation of this approach for "large" objects (i.e. things like
files) in a conventional production operating system environment.

There are very few truly new ideas in computer science...

                -- Nat Mishkin
                   Apollo Computer
                   {uw-beaver, wanginst, yale}!apollo!mishkin