Input Line Editing

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.UUCP
Tue Jul 26 01:19:12 AEST 1988

In article <922 at esunix.UUCP>, bpendlet at esunix.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) writes:
> From article <1112 at ficc.UUCP>, by peter at ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva):
[ description of what you put a poor UNIX box through if you use RAW mode ]

> What Peter says is true. BUT, it is not a reason to stop looking for
> better ways to do things, or for opposing changes that would make
> using separate input line editing processes easier.

This is true. In System V the place to put this sort of thing, I guess,
would be a streams module. In an ideal world, you would put this in a
lightweight realtime process in the realtime operating system you're
running UNIX on top of.

Even if you give everyone a VAX, you still would be far better off with
a realtime kernel that is, itself, a seperate process. For more info,
see my articles on comp.sys.amiga where I talk about my fantasy of running
UNIX under AmigaOS (which *is* a realtime operating system that supports
lightweight processes).
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?" (uunet,tness1)!sugar!ficc!peter.