Help us defend against VMS! -- DEC perspective

Bob Devine devine at cookie.dec.com
Tue Mar 8 05:27:48 AEST 1988

  I've stayed on the side in this latest Battle of the Network
Flamers of VMS vs Unix because I've been properly inculcated
with the notion that I can't speak for DEC.  But since they are
now buying my beer, let me state the facts.  All the information
stated below has been publicly expressed; I'm just repeating it.

  Approximately 10% of all VAXen sold run Unix (or variations).
This number has been consistently at this level for quite a while.
Workstations are currently at about the 30% level.  DEC has
decided that it is in its best interest to offer Unix as well as VMS.
To that end, an equal amount of development funds and people are
now devoted to each OS.  DEC has also stated that in the future new
developments will be made available to both OSs.

  For the future, DEC is behind POSIX.  Not some vendor-specific version
of Unix that would be closed to others (subtle, aren't I?).