More Questions about Sun OS/ATT Merged UNIX.

Dave Decot decot at hpisod2.HP.COM
Fri Mar 11 13:11:23 AEST 1988

> Guess the SVID/SVVS must not be picky about setpgrp() behaviour.

The setpgrp() in libc.a on HP-UX fully conforms to SVID.

To support job control functions, we added a system call named
setpgrp2() that does what BSD setpgrp() does (except that we
added some needed security checks).

To make it easier to compile BSD programs without changing your source files,
we also provide a routine called setpgrp() in libBSD.a; that routine
just calls setpgrp2().

> To give HP-UX credit, they document their somewhere-in-between solution well,
> and it's not clear there *is* a right way to resolve the differences.

POSIX will avoid this by not specifying a function named setpgrp(),
but naming both sets of functionalities something else.

> I must say, just having a System V with sockets is a pleasant start,
> and they've done a lot more.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm glad you're pleased.

Dave Decot
hpda!decot