NFS

Dan Ehrlich ehrlich at blitz
Thu Mar 31 00:40:24 AEST 1988

In article <303 at unixprt.UUCP> paf at unixprt.UUCP (Paul Fronberg) writes:
>Another point in the on going RFS-NFS wars:
>NFS seems to be coupled with TCP/IP. I have not seen anyone running
>it with other protocols whereas I have seen RFS running with
>several different TLI providers.

While I do not claim any vast expertise in NFS, from looking at the
specifications for NFS and RPC there is really nothing that couples NFS
or RPC to TCP/IP.  It just happens to be the first transport protocol
that NFS was implemented on.  Any protocol suite that comes close to
the ISO model should be a resonable transport method.

>Currently this shouldn't make any difference right now since most everyone
>has BSD 4.* TCP/IP in one form or another. It'll be interesting to see
>what happens when ISO, X.25 become important.

If SUN has there act together this is probably already running in house.

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich at blitz.{cs.psu.edu,bitnet,uucp}>
The Pennsylvania State University, Department of Computer Science
333 Whitmore Laboratory, University Park, PA   16802
+1 814 863 1142 or +1 814 865 9723
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich at psuvax1.{cs.psu.edu,bitnet,uucp}>