When did paging get into System V

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sat May 14 06:24:31 AEST 1988

In article <21688 at oliveb.olivetti.com> lance at Roma.UUCP (Lance Berc) writes:
>In article <7878 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>>(Sun designed their original memory management hardware to look virtually
>>the same as the VAX's, to avoid this.  Not everyone has had that option.)
>The memory hardware of Vaxen and Suns (at least twos and threes) are
>COMPLETELY different.

While possibly true, it's irrelevant.  Notice the word "original" in my
posting.  I have to admit I don't have "Sun-1" hardware documentation;
my conclusion was drawn from perusing the memory management sections of
the 4.1BSD source code as adapted to the original Sun computer.  By now
both Sun and Berkeley have had time to improve the virtual memory model.
My point was that it started out a VAX-specific mess.