UUCP over SunLink X.25, unbundled products

G. Roderick Singleton gerry at syntron.UUCP
Mon May 9 13:20:04 AEST 1988

In article <353 at cloud9.UUCP> bob at cloud9.UUCP (Bob Toxen) writes:
<In article <44300 at beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick at seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
<> The current BSD release supports the UUCP 'f' protocol and SLIP for TCP/IP,
<> yet most "compatible" vendors don't support it.
<>
<> --rick
<
<While they're at it, Sun and friends (enemies?) should fix UUCICO to
<support 4.2BSD UUCP's ability to specify ODD or EVEN parity when dialing
<into the remote system.  We could have used this feature.  Also, Sun's
<UUCICO faults if there isn't a "send" sequence after the last "expect"
<sequence or if any "send" sequence consists solely of "\c".  There's also
<a third case where it faults.  I could look it up if anyone cares.  This was
<a year ago, maybe it's fixed by now.
<--
<
<Bob Toxen	{ucbvax!ihnp4,harvard,cloud9!es}!anvil!cavu!bob
<Stratus Computer, Marlboro, MA
<Pilot to Copilot: What's a mountain goat doing way up here in a cloud bank?

In every version of uucico I've encountered, there are some poorly
documented features, even for UNIX,  that will perform exactly what
you're looking to accomplish.  Try inserting  P_ZERO in the first send
sequence (or P_EVEN or whatever) in your L.sys entry.  You'll be amazed
it actually works and it's already built-in.

Now I have yet to personally experience SUN uucico but all the others,
4.2, v7 and SCO Xenix2.1.3, can set parity this way and I expect that
SUN's version also has this capability.  I know these exist in the sources
but I can't locate an external reference as I type this so just experiment.

gerry
--
G. Roderick Singleton, gerry@{ syntron | geac | eclectic | cansun }.UUCP
"ALL animals are created equal, BUT some animals are MORE equal than others."