generating code to run multiple targets/configurations from single

Matt Landau mlandau at bbn.com
Mon Apr 10 06:23:59 AEST 1989

In comp.unix.wizards (<13157 at watdragon.waterloo.edu>), Tim Bray writes:
>depend on file extensions to tell us what a file is?, gotta wonder what kind
>of underworked enthusiast at Sun put that inspiration in.

Probably the same bozo who added the warning "Include of /usr/include/...
is non-portable" every time you #include a file whose name begins with '/'.

Yes, thank you, Mr. C Compiler.  We know it's unportable.  That's why
the first step in bootstrapping our source code on a new machine is to
auto-generate all those include lines correctly for the environments in
use.  (Yes, we have good reasons for doing that.)

But thank you very much for the warning, Mr. C Compiler.  Now, please tell
me how to turn the goddamn thing off!!  What, no compiler flag to suppress
this warning?  Not even in 4.0.1??  Thanks.  Thanks a lot.  Looks like it's
time to replace /bin/cc with a shell script that pipes that compiler output
through grep -v (again).

*Sigh*  Why don't people THINK before they implement?
--
 Matt Landau		    			"Sheep are very dim."
 mlandau at bbn.com