Looking for balanced critique of Perl

Leo de Wit leo at ehviea.ine.philips.nl
Sat Jun 30 04:06:18 AEST 1990

In article <2407 at ucqais.uc.edu> dstrombe at ucqais.uc.edu (pri=2 Dan Stromberg) writes:
|In article <814 at ehviea.ine.philips.nl>, leo at ehviea.ine.philips.nl (Leo de Wit) writes:
|> Unfortunately, the very keyword you're looking for is often underlined,
|> or typed over multiple times, so it contains embedded backspaces (and
|> possible underscores or repetitions) in the manual text. I had a few
|> bad experiences with that lately. There really should be an option of
|> the pager to compare modulo underlining/fat printing.
|>
|>    Leo.
|
|I don't know if this is possible on all systems, but:
|
|	man ls | col -b | pg
|
|seems to work nicely for me on a couple different Sys V machines.

Yep, works here too.

Normally, using man(1) in the UCB universe (on a Pyramid), I get it for
nothing, because the output is piped through ul(1); lately I did
something like att man curses|more (without the 'col' or 'ul'), which
caused my problem. Well, I guess that's what you deserve if you want
the best of two worlds 8-).

Also thanks to John Merritt, who gave me the 'ul' suggestion (mail to
him bounced).

    Leo.