filename separators and option indicators

Chris Calabrese[mav] cjc at ulysses.att.com
Fri Jun 1 00:13:23 AEST 1990

In article <1990May31.065335.10406 at agate.berkeley.edu>, dankg at lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) writes:

> 	Gee, I knew that:  You can quote file name in shell and just do
> fopen("~!@#$%^&*()-_=+[{]}\\|\'\";:?.>,<", "w") in c source or anything but
> in reality those drive your shell nuts.  As far as Unix has no Finder
> or SFDialog to access these files witout pain, we'd better stay away from
> those nasty punctuation marks...

Not only does the shell not have problems with punctuation marks, but
it even handles non-printable characters without complaining.

Script started on Thu May 31 10:07:17 1990
619 telemachos_/papers/htor) > 'this is a #^$&$&&$Q test'
620 telemachos_/papers/htor) > 'this is a ^G ^C^B^A test'
621 telemachos_/papers/htor) ls this*
this is a #^$&$&&$Q test        this is a ^G ??? test
622 telemachos_/papers/htor) exit

script done on Thu May 31 10:07:33 1990
Name:			Christopher J. Calabrese
Brain loaned to:	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ
att!ulysses!cjc		cjc at ulysses.att.com
Obligatory Quote:	``Anyone who would tell you that would also try and sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.''