How can a parent find out if one of its children is still alive

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at mtndew.UUCP
Fri Jun 8 00:27:04 AEST 1990

In article <42180 at brunix.UUCP>, tcl at cs.brown.edu (Tom Lawrence) writes:
> I'd like to point out that pid numbers aren't recycled for a while. It
> may take quite a long time on a machine which is relatively unused.

Be careful with this one -- the 3B15 running Sys V Rel 3 recycles PIDs
very quickly (certainly not in a circular manner) and it can surprise
you -- it surprised me.  Other machines might recycle soon too.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"I will defend to your death my right to my opinion" - me