Wizard-level questions

Root Boy Jim rbj at uunet.UU.NET
Sun Jan 27 17:51:28 AEST 1991

>In article <16048 at sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs163wcr at sdcc10.ucsd.edu (I support the U.N.) writes:

I support the I.X.

> [4] How did you become a Unix Wizard?

I sent $49.95 to the Famous Wizards School :-)

My advice to wannabes is to RTFM. All of it. Several times.
The secret is knowing which parts to skip. The answer is:
everything you find confusing. Just remember that it exists.
The next time thru you'll understand more.

Forget 90% of the books out there. They're trying to beat
around the bush for people who like to be led by the hand.

Talk to and emulate those that you consider to be more wizardly.

Ask questions if you get stuck. Don't worry if they are stupid
ones. We like them, they're easier to answer. We asked them too.

Read source code. Unfortunately, less system source is available,
altho more public domain source is.

Another advantage is history. Those of you who have never seen
Version 6 or 7, or anything else other than UNIX, who have never
programmed extensibly in assembly will find it harder to view
the present in perspective. On the other hand, we all view it
differently and some of it was a waste of time.

Learn LISP. Learn why I said this.
--

	Root Boy Jim Cottrell <rbj at uunet.uu.net>
	Close the gap of the dark year in between