comp.unix.wizards

Christopher M Mauritz cmm1 at cunixa.cc.columbia.edu
Tue Mar 26 06:22:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar25.183444.12769 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> str at cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen T Rubinstein) writes:

>Thanks for all the replies--both the serious and other.  What I figured is
>going on is that we have bad news software.  I was wrong (well not really
>since we do have junk software).  What is going on is that CU thinks that
>students might learn about bugs in news groups like this and exploit them.
>(I guess they missed this one.)  Also people at CU can not get into any groups
>having to do with security.  I guess CU does not figure we have the brains to
>go through some other system to get at these news groups, or to use a library
>to find out the same sort of info.  Go figure.

Hey man, if CUCCA "let" us learn about the nuts and bolts of unix
then what would they do for a living?  IMHO, CUCCA is like the Federal
government at times in that it seems the only justification for its
existence is to perpetuate its existence.  go figger...

Besides, the holes in unix security ARE well documented.  Any hacker
could have his way with most unix systems if he/she attended a few
security seminars or read a few trade magazines.

Cheers,

Chris