Why not Multics? (was Re: BSD tty security, part 3: How to Fix It)

Rahul Dhesi dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com
Wed May 1 09:08:38 AEST 1991

In <1991Apr30.142053.2313 at sctc.com> stachour at sctc.com (Paul Stachour) writes:

>Gee, with that kind of understandings, its no wonder that those of
>us who have used Multics are kind of upset when we are forced to migrate
>to systems where [non-Multics things happen].

So why are we all using UNIX and its derivatives?  Why isn't Multics a
commercial success even though it seems to have a unique place in
history?

More specifically, where can we buy Multics to run on our favorite
hardware?  Why can't we buy it?

Inquiring minds want to know.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at cirrus.COM>