Max process count

Tom Banister twb at cci632.cci.com
Tue May 21 03:51:25 AEST 1991

 One of the ways fork() can fail is : "The system-imposed limit on the total
number of processes under execution by a single user would be exceeded."
I have several questions about that.

1) Does that mean all processes with the same effective user id would be
  counted, or all processes from a single login? I tend to believe it's all
  processes with the same effective user id.

2) Is there some way that I can determine; from a user program, how many
  processes are running with the same effective user id?

3) How can I determine from a user program what the maximum number of processes
  is? On the Sun's here <sys/param.h> has a MAXUPRC, but that #define does not
  exist on the SysV machines here. Besides, I'd like to know the maximum at run   time, not the last time the kernel was compiled. Yes, I know that I could
  fork() until EAGAIN is returned and count the fork()'s, but that's pretty
  shoddy.

Thanks in advance for all useful responses.
	Thomas W. Banister			twb at cci.com
	Analysts International Corp. 		{rit,uupsi}!cci632!twb
	205 Saint Paul Street
	Rochester, New York
	716-325-6640