/tmp and /usr/tmp

P McFerrin mcferrin at inuxc.UUCP
Fri Apr 6 08:17:12 AEST 1984

On our UNIX 5.0 systems, /tmp and /usr/tmp are cleaned out during reboot.
Since /tmp is root, space is very tight but /usr/tmp usually has lots
of room (relatively speaking).  We encourage users to use /usr/tmp
for temporary files.

However, specific scripts and programs that we need to utilize while
in single-user use /tmp since /usr is usually not mounted.  This is
why such guys as ed(1), cc(1),..... use /tmp.  If they used /usr/tmp,
you would be restricted in what you can do in single-user.

Since we have gone to RP07's for our 780's, space on / is not tight
anymore.  But, in general, we still use /usr/tmp as a practice.