DEC is dishonest - ULTRIX is not UNIX

Wayne A. Christopher faustus at ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Jun 19 04:10:34 AEST 1986

In article <661 at scc.UUCP>, steiny at scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:
> 	As a software developer that develops software for UNIX
> I am a bit ticked off at DEC.
> 	In sys/acct.h the ac_etime field is float on ULTRIX and
> and time_t on UNIX (including 4.1bsd, 4.2bsd, version 7, system III,
> system V).  In sys/acct.h the ac_utime and ac_stime fields are
> float on ULTRIX and comp_t on UNIX.    The data types are not even close.
> Since that adds 4 bytes to the 24 byte accounting record, the
> /usr/adm/acct file grows 16% faster than on UNIX.
> 	I have had considerable experience now with various ports
> and ULTRIX is without a doubt the worst.   It is not even close
> to UNIX.

I think you're picking a bad example. Just because an accounting program
won't run on Ultrix and will on 4.2, it doesn't mean that Ultrix isn't
Unix.  First, Ultrix is following 4.3 pretty closely, so if there are
incompatibilities they are most likely 4.2 / 4.3 differences. Second,
I routinely move binaries and source between 4.3 machines and Ultrix
machines, and I have yet to find any real incompabilities.  I think DEC
did a very good job in their port.  After dealing with "UNIX" ports like
HP-UX I appreciate a sensible approach like that of DEC.

The tone of your article makes me seriously doubt that you have had
"considerable experience" with anything at all. Try and think a bit
before posting ravings like this to the net.

	Wayne