sh, csh, and special execution environments

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Mon Jun 16 07:37:04 AEST 1986

In article <1741 at utah-gr.UUCP> thomas at utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:
>You missed.  Since when does rsh use sh?

I am afraid that you missed too, Spence.  It uses `sh' if the remote
user's login shell is `sh'.  Rare perhaps, but by no means unheard-of.

>The problem that pfeiffer was complaining about has to do with
>quoting variable expansions so that they occur properly whether the
>command is being run remotely or locally.

This is probably true.

>You have to supply an extra level of quoting for remote commands
>(to deal with remote file expansion &c).  This is especially nasty
>if you have `!'s in your string somewhere.

The quoting is not too terribly hard to do.  Perhaps there should
be a utility called `quote' that quotes its arguments against shell
expansion :-).
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu