vi, mac, unix

Tim Smith tim at ism780c.UUCP
Fri Sep 26 05:21:33 AEST 1986

In article <1066 at batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> saunders at batcomputer.UUCP (kevin eric saunders) writes:

>>I have NEVER had ANY experience with vi removing text and doing the
>>wierd things that the previous posters have stated, even when I was a
>>beginner with vi.
>
>Methinks the folks complaining probably had a mismatch between their
>TERM setting and their terminal, or a corrupted termcap entry.  This
>can result in some *very* confusing screen displays.  The file, of
>course, is just fine; too bad you can't see what you're entering.

The ones I have seen are often caused by terminals that send sequences
for function keys faster than the host can handle them.  The host misses
a character or two, and you end up with a random command.  This can
lead to a corrupt file.  It is a good thing vi has an UNDO command!

I have seen this happen on 68k unix boxes, and on a pc6300+.  I am
pretty sure I have also seen it on vaxes.
--
What's the difference between a duck?

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
		Delphi or GEnie: mnementh