Noisy hard disks

Brant Cheikes brant at manta.UUCP
Tue Apr 12 14:35:34 AEST 1988

My 3b1 hard disk is starting to make noise (whining).  Major
irritation.  The following repair strategies have been suggested: (1)
solder or tape some "stuff" to the static discharge arm (SDA)
underneath the drive spindle to alter its resonant frequency, (2)
remove the SDA.

I recall that there was some controversy over whether (2) was a good
idea.  What is the potential danger of that approach?  Are there
better strategies that I don't know about?
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania