Altering Logon Prompt

thad at cup.portal.com thad at cup.portal.com
Thu Apr 14 14:59:33 AEST 1988

Just checking my system's log notes, the file I altered to produce a new
login prompt "Welcome to THADLABS!" is /etc/gettydefs; and I restored
the /etc/motd file to its original state.

I'm learning UNIX by bits and pieces, and I hope this helps you, too.

I keep a notebook full of all the notes and trivia I discover about the
system.  Fascinating!

Just think: 7 months ago I thought UNIX was a piece of sh*t 'til I bouught
my own and now I've become a UNIX proselytizer!

I've converted over 17% of my company to UNIX (e.g. the people have all
bought their own UNIX PCs and I know have one of my products in the AT&T
UNIX Catalog and in the /usr/group's 1988 UNIX Products Directory!  (that
product is on the 3B2; am still awaiting some "special" software before I
port the the product to the 3B1 (should just be a matter of days now).

Having been in this "racket" for several decades, I clearly see the value
of UNIX; just wish I could have "converted" earlier.  I have Doug Merritt
to thank for my recent conversion (he's on the software review board of
UNIX REVIEW and also a frequent caller to several of my Amiga BBS systems).