Watch out for those "Complete" Backups!!!

wilber at alice.UUCP wilber at alice.UUCP
Thu Feb 18 02:43:24 AEST 1988

kevin at kosman.UUCP writes:
> Finally, a question: has anyone with a Tape Backup figured out a good way to
> deal with this?  Right now, I'm thinking I will backup / by name, and if I
> ever have to rebuild from that backup I'll have to restore the entire
> Foundation Set, then the Tape Utilities, and finally restore the tape.
>
> It's not too bad, but is there a better way?

Yeah, tape backup on the 3b1 is pretty lame.  First, you *must* change
/etc/.installdate to be Jan 1, 1970.  (Or whatever UNIX thinks the beginning of
time is -- I think that's right.)  Second, mung the shell script in Tbackup.sh
to back up all the stuff you really want to have backed up.  I changed mine to
back up all regular files and directories, including the stuff in /bin,
/usr/bin, and /etc.  Even with this I'm not sure that every thing I'd ever want
backed up is *really* being backed up but it sure is better than how it came
out of the box.