UNIXPC uucp problem

Brant Cheikes brant at manta.UUCP
Sun Jul 3 07:39:40 AEST 1988

In article <103 at cjsa.UUCP> jeff at cjsa.UUCP (C. Jeffery Small) writes:
>In article <1988Jun27.202651.9458 at ziebmef.uucp>, becker at ziebmef.uucp writes:
>> I've been having a problem with my 7300/3b1, in that it won't
>> receive uucp logins from anyone at all (BAD LOGIN/MACHINE NAME), but I
>> can connect to any machine by dial-out... I don't understand why...
[...]
>I had this very problem when I first set up USENET software.  I believe
>the problem has to do with the way uucp, nuucp, etc. entries appear and
>are parsed in the passwd file.

My suggestion would be to check the /etc/inittab file for an entry
that attaches a getty (or uugetty) to the modem port.  You must have a
line of the form:

 ph1:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t60 ph1 1200

(leading space essential)
This puts a uugetty on the phone line waiting for an incoming
connection.  I believe the getty initializes the port to answer
incoming calls.  You may need to replace /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty above
with /etc/getty.  Without a getty, your machine won't answer.
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania