On flames and sources

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Mon Jul 11 08:59:55 AEST 1988

In article <383 at manta.UUCP> brant at manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
|>In article <412 at icus.UUCP> lenny at icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) responds
|>to an article by loci!clb:
|>>*FLAME ON*
|>
|>REALLY, gentlemen.  Must we sully the unix-pc groups with flamage?
|>It's bad enough that it happens in "official USENET" groups.
|>
|>I don't think Mr. Brunow's comment ("delusions of grandeur?") was
|>directed at Mr. Tropiano.  Rather, he just expressed an opinion that
|>such a low-volume stream as unix-pc.* doesn't need something as
|>"grandiose" as a moderated sources group.  I don't agree, and I don't
|>think Lenny needed to turn around and defend his net-existence.

Well, I disagree here.  But leave it at that.  I agree that unix-pc.*
isn't the place for flamage.  I just didn't like the way Mr. Brunow quoted
my article out of context -- it made it look like I was "boasting", in reality
I was just offering my assistance (as always).  It could have been carried out
privately, but he chose not to.

|>Now, to the point: I would agree that unix-pc does not need more
|>subgroups.  I only see 10-20 articles per day in .general, the volume
|>just doesn't justify increased "categorization."  In fact, I can't
|>even see the justification for unix-pc.uucp.  I've seen maybe 10
|>postings there in the last year.

I agree here.  I retrospect the volume of news that the unix-pc.* gets
might not require a reorganization like the one I posed.  Most of you
(those who replied) feel the same.  Possibly let's get rid of .general
and make it two groups, .software and .hardware?

|>As far as a moderated sources group goes: I'm aware that unix-pc
|>specific stuff is distributed over the net, archived here and there.
|>But there doesn't seem to be anyone doing the job of keeping track of
|>what's available in any organized way.  I'd like to see something like
|>what Salz and Allbery are doing, but for unix-pc-specific source code
|>only.  That is, periodic postings of lists of available software, with
|>someone to contact about getting the stuff.  I would prefer central
|>organization and archiving to lists of n people to contact along with
|>what they have.  I don't think this is grandiose, and a moderated
|>sources group would be useful.  If Lenny's willing to do that, great.
|>Lenny: can you handle keeping all the stuff online and available for
|>anonymous uucp?

If I would take the responsibily of being the unix-pc.sources moderator,
I would have a little learning to do.  Yes, I would allow anon-uucp
pickups, and keep the sources online.  There isn't a *big* volume of
that either, so storage wouldn't be too much of a problem.   I haven't
gotten that many replies... most of them are split 1/2 and 1/2 about
making unix-pc.sources moderated.

|>We should be careful NOT to overlap unix-pc.sources with the other
|>sources groups.  That is, unix-pc.sources should be devoted to software
|>specific to the unix-pc ONLY.  Though it might be useful to
|>occasionally pass along the sources.unix and sources.misc lists when
|>they come out.

Yes, this could very well be arranged.  It would make sure that at least
*one* person (the moderator) got *ALL* sources posted to unix-pc.sources.

-Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny at icus.UUCP
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...att    \