/usr/include *poof!*

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Sat Jul 16 09:24:42 AEST 1988

In article <5301 at ihlpf.ATT.COM> gmark at ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) writes:
|>Has anyone else had this experience?  Using the same disks to
|>bring up 7 machines so far, we have had 3 come up with a shell
|>script file in place of the /usr/include directory and the subtended
|>files.  It's as though some disk randomly puts a file there, preventing
|>what I assume is part of the development set (the /usr/include library
|>files and that directory) from being installed.
|>				G. Mark Stewart
|>				ATT_BTL, Naperville, Ill. ix1g266
|>				ixlpq!gms (312)979-0914
|>				(please include phone in response)

Yes, me too (I thought I did something wrong in the installation!).  I
ultimately wiped the file out and re-installed the development set and
all was ok.

An idea... perhaps it makes a difference which packages you install first.
Do you install each machine's software in the same order each time (check
the installed software list from the user agent).  I believe it has something
to do with that.

Lenny (the (in)famous lenny at icus :-) gave me a hand with the installation and
he had the same feeling about this, but again .. we didn't know what caused
the problem.  He just reloaded his OS about two months ago and it went fine.

If anyone finds out, please satisfy my curiousity and let me know what
happened!

| Gil Kloepfer, Jr.                  | Net-Address:                           |
| ICUS Software Systems              | {boulder,talcott}!icus!limbic!gil      |
| P.O. Box 1                         | Voice-net: (516) 968-6860              |
| Islip Terrace, New York  11752     | Othernet: gil at limbic.UUCP              |