File Transfer Programs

Richard Grant rag at mtunb.ATT.COM
Wed May 11 06:05:23 AEST 1988

In article <2311 at ukecc.engr.uky.edu> edward at engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>>> Is there a way to add more protocols to the ATE?
>
>There is a file /usr/bin/umodem that I assume contains the UMODEM code.
>Based on that, I assume the ATE forks off a umodem process and connects
>stdin and stdout to it. If that's right, then, theoretically, you could
>put a copy of rz inplace of /usr/bin/umodem. The ATE wouldn't know the
>difference. No, I haven't tried it but it seems like a safe experiment

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.  umodem is in /usr/bin so that
it can be executed from the shell when called by another machine.
(Consider using the ATE on another UNIX PC and calling your UNIX PC.)
The umodem protocol is compiled into the ATE without hooks to provide
other protocols.

	Rich Grant
	mtune!mtunb!rag