Leave Diagnostic Disk In?

Stewart gmark at ihlpf.ATT.COM
Fri May 20 09:03:38 AEST 1988

A while ago, someone stated on the net that they made a practice of
leaving the diagnostic disk in, so that, in the event of a power
problem, it would start to boot and sit there.  This would prevent
the repeated cycling that could damage the HD.  Has anyone been
doing this, and has ANYONE had any problems with it?  Might it be a
better idea to switch the power through a latched relay, so that
a power outage would disconnect power from the machine permanently
until someone manually reset the latch?  What I'D like to do is
to set the darn thing to switch off permanently in the event of an
overheating until I reset the thing -- like a thermostatic circuit
breaker.  Comments?????????????

				- Mark

				G. Mark Stewart
				ATT_BTL, Naperville, Ill. ix1g266