power supply failure

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Fri May 20 12:43:14 AEST 1988

In article <241 at safari.UUCP> dave at safari.UUCP (dave munroe) writes:
]One night the power to my 3B1 went out as if the AC line had been
]yanked.  After checking that the fuse was OK, I attempted to power
]back on.  All I get when I do this is the LED's on the keyboard
]lighting up, going out, and lighting back up at about half-second
]intervals.  Also, the speaker makes a clicking noise at these same
]intervals.  No fans, no disk, no CRT.  Naturally, this is the system
]which is out of warranty, no maintenance, and where most of my software
]resides.
]
]Does this sound like the type of problem that would require complete
]replacement of the power supply, or might it be just some component
]that could be easily replaced?  If it's the latter, how easy is it
]to remove the power supply from the system and take it to someone who
]could repair it?  I'd like to avoid moving the whole system.
]
]I'm sure a whole lot of people would be interested in having third party
]maintenance on the Unix PC, but I don't know of any and it's been a
]long time since anyone's heard of Amperfax.

I had a similar thing happen a couple of weeks ago.  I called around and
found a local company (in the Yellow Pages under computer service) which
fixed the supply for $100.00, flat rate.  Power supplies are all pretty
similar, and this should not be a problem for them if they can just figure
out how to open up the box.

BTW, mine turned out to be a shorted filter capacitor.  Kills the sucker
dead, guaranteed.

Hope you have similar good luck.