Submission for Unix-PC

C M Votava cmv at ihlpm.ATT.COM
Thu May 26 00:01:01 AEST 1988

In article <8805231516.AA00342 at eplrx7.UUCP> gatelist at zorch.UU.NET writes:

>The UNIX PC cannot support two drives.  Period.

Oops, this is not exactly true. From what little information I've been able
to gather, there was a field upgrade that Convergent *informally* had out
just before the unixpc was dropped, that would allow you to have two, and only
two hard disks attached to your machine. As far as I can guess, they did
some fancy magic with the hardware status bits that have one bit for the floppy
(0/1 for on/off) and one for the hard disk (0/1 for on or off) and hacked it
so it would work (0-0 for hard disk number 2).

>They have also developed a SCSI plug-in card for the 3b1.  I have had one
>for a month (I'm a beta site for them) and it works great.  In case anyone
>is interested their phone # is 302 731 1583.

This is a very nice piece of news, much appreciation for posting it. Is this
company going to market the card? Do they have a good number of drivers
written for it? What do you have running off of your card, and how well does
it work?

-Craig Votava

[ihnp4!]looney!cmv