Using ksh for command escapes from UA (UNIXPC)

Hans Jespersen hjespersen at trillium.waterloo.edu
Sat Nov 19 02:14:18 AEST 1988

In article <776 at rush.cts.com> bob at rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) writes:
=In article <322 at tarkus.UUCP>, jcs at tarkus.UUCP (John C. Sucilla) writes:
=> In article <2507 at rtech.rtech.com> ralph at rtech.rtech.com (Ralph Harnden) writes:
=> Anybody know if just linking ksh to sh would break anything?
=> Who wants to be first to try it? :-)
=
=I've tried this on every OS that AT&T has sent out including 2.0, 3.0,
=3.5, 3.5.1.4, 3.51.  I haven't tried it on 3.51a.
=
=[much descriptive stuff deleated]
=
=After much frustration, I have switched back to sh.  Has anyone tried
=this with 3.51a?  I'd sure like to run ksh instead of sh, but I'm
=no longer willing to try this.
=
=I know someone who has been running ksh for at least a year now as /bin/sh
=and he says it's no problem.
=

I've had the link going ever since I read the original posting (weeks ?) ago.
So far I have had no problems although I haven't conciously tried things that
might screw ksh up. My motivation for switching was so that my uucp shell
(~!) would give me korn shell. This way I can type 'ls -l foo' once and
then just ^k whenever I feel like checking on how my file transfer is going
(using ~% take).