3B1 vs. 7300, uucp/mail Fight, Round One

Dave Arnold dave at arnold.UUCP
Sun Sep 25 01:38:32 AEST 1988

In article <9377 at cup.portal.com>, thad at cup.portal.com writes:
> [...]
> I attempted this and, a DLM (data line monitor) on the serial
> port, discovered that each system's login herald
> would be interpreted as a
> login attempt by the other
> system with the result being each system would
> "fight" the other.

I know one thing:

You have to be running a getty on both systems that wake up, and
give the login prompt only until DCD is asserted.  uugetty does this
but isn't really widely available... But...

There was a bidirectional getty front-end posted to comp.sources.unix
several years ago.

Besides all this, there are still some things to watch out for, and
don't know the details.

I remember a big discussion about this last year in comp.sys.att, or
unix-pc.general.  randy at chinet was very involved.
I would really like to bring this one back, I found it very
interesting at the time, but was to busy to read the discussions.
I have some time now!  Did anybody save this discussion?

The subject was "uugetty's fighting" or some such thing.
--
Dave Arnold
dave at arnold.UUCP	{cci632|uunet}!ccicpg!arnold!dave