fan mail

julian macassey julian at bongo.UUCP
Sun Apr 9 14:42:54 AEST 1989

In article <1886 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, motteler at umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Howard E. Motteler) writes:
> In article <157 at bongo.UUCP> julian at bongo.UUCP (julian macassey) writes:
>
> >If I can get an AC fan that really pushes wind, I will remove the DC
> >fan  and replace it with the super AC fan.
>             deleted stuff
>                                 If you're really worried, you might
> put a *pair* of AC fans in, acting as exhaust fans, in both fan slots.
> (In "parallel"-- not in series!)
>
> --
> Howard E. Motteler       |  Dept. of Computer Science
> motteler at umbc3.umbc.edu  |  UMBC, Catonsville, MD 21228

    This appears to be a good idea. One of the first things that occured to
me was to take the piece of foam rubber out of the fan slot on the left
hand side of the machine and slap in another fan. Obviously, two fans would
be twice as good. I mentioned this simple but brilliant mod to Gary Sanders
n8emr at gws and he said "No". Here was his story. The early systems were
shipped with two fans, but that caused air stagnation and hard disks were
overheating and failing all over the place. So there is a reason you only
get one fan, it is not because AT&T were too cheap to spring for a second
fan. So judging from that and what I have read in this group, the tip seems
to be: Go for a hefty AC fan and put up with the noise. Any suggestions for
model numbers and sources? Or are all the 3b1 AC fans swapmeet specials.

--
Julian Macassey, n6are  julian at bongo    ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
n6are at wb6ymh (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495