TCP for the unix-pc

was-John McMillan jcm at mtunb.ATT.COM
Wed Apr 12 02:26:53 AEST 1989

In article <7976 at mtune.ATT.COM> rkh at mtune.UUCP (Robert Halloran) writes:
>In article <8187 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>>				 The main problem with them is that the
>>available software is for URP (AT&T proprietary) protocol while the
>>other AT&T machines are changing to OSI protocols so you can't mix
>>7300's and 6386's on the same net.
>Correction to your comments above: it is true that the other AT&T systems
>are moving to ISO protocols, but they CAN share a wire with URP-based
>systems; they just don't understand one another.
>
>						Bob Halloran

1)	Bob is right, as usual ;-)

2)	Bob hasn't mentioned that AT&T, INTERNALLY, runs many
	[most?] of its 3B2 and 6386 systems with software that
	supports BOTH URP & ISO.  (He KNOWS this... but is
	smart enough to NOT mention it: I'm NOT ;-)

	The point is: there is inside & outside pressure for AT&T
	to release the dual protocol software as a product -- at
	least I think that's still alive -- and there is as yet
	little isolation of 3B1's WITHIN AT&T.  There is just the
	tedium of knowing which of your clients are URP or ISO
	talkers.

3)	True isolation occurs as StarLAN'ers switch from the 1MB
	hardware to the 10MB hardware: there is no (known-to-me)
	means of running the 1MB hardware on a 10 MB net.

John (oops, I shouldn't a said that) McMillan	-- att!mtunb!jcm