fan mail

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Mon Apr 10 14:16:17 AEST 1989

In article <1886 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU> motteler at umbc3.umbc.edu (Howard E. Motteler)
writes:

|>I think even the cheap R.S. AC fans are rated at more CFM than the
|>stock DC fans can give on "high"=12v.  On low the stock fan(s) are fed
|>about 9-10 V at 100 to 150 ma.  If you're really worried, you might
|>put a *pair* of AC fans in, acting as exhaust fans, in both fan slots.
|>(In "parallel"-- not in series!)

I wouldn't put in *two* fans.  I had this configuration with the DC fans,
before I switched to the one AC fan.  The two DC fans only put more of
a drain on the 12VDC supply, and it dragged more dust through my machine.
The left side of the full height "3B1" UNIX pc doesn't get that hot,
and pulling more dust through the floppy only makes for more problems.
The older PC7300's did have two fans, but they also had additional
holes to pull air through that smaller case.

-Lenny

--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 582-5525
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576