HELP with *BLOCK* device driver

John McMillan jcm at mtune.ATT.COM
Tue Feb 6 09:25:01 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb5.074541.26335 at stb.uucp> michael at stb.uucp (Michael Gersten) writes:

>HELP! I'm getting bind errors with this.
>
>Repeat-by:
>masterupd -a block open close strategy release nfs
>cc -c nfs.c
>lddrv -av nfs
>
>lddrv complains: BIND error: Invalid parameter.

	I don't find that error in the sources.  Are you running 3.51 ?

>Note that if I say it is a char driver, with read instead of strategy,
>it works fine. Can block device drivers be loaded at all?

	I've never dealt with a BLOCK driver that lacked an
	underlying CHAR driver.  This presumption may be
	built into the code.  You can always FAKE the CHAR
	entries -- aborting an OPEN.

>(this is an attempt to write a driver whose data is supplied by another
>user program; in this case getting data from another machine by serial
>port).
:
	I didn't see -- in a 15 second intense scrutiny ;-) --
	WHY you were writing a BLOCK driver rather than a CHAR
	driver....  Nor shall I worry about it.

john mcmillan -- att!mtune!jcm -- muttering for SELF, not them