Window documentation from umcp-cs!chris

rcj at burl.UUCP rcj at burl.UUCP
Sun Jul 10 08:37:14 AEST 1983

I haven't yet tried to generate chris' window documentation, but
I do want to say two things about the flame against sending non-
working stuff out on the net.

a) I agree with the stand taken -- unusable software and documentation
waste my time for no reason.

b) The flamer in question asked everyone to remember that not everyone
has all the tools that you do, and then asks why -ms or -man cannot
be used for all documentation.  A worthy question, but he obviously
does not know that USG Unix does not have the -ms package.  I do not
wish to flame the flamer, but merely to suggest something to the
net community at large:

~=  /* flame on!! */

USG Unix exists!!  There is something besides Berkeley Unix!!!
I fully realize that you cannot please everyone all the time, but
if you must send out software or documentation that runs on Berkeley,
at least say that it comes from a Berkeley system so that USG people
will be forewarned.  Try to find a couple of reliable people who
are running USG, and send them a copy for conversion to USG, then
post that copy/those fixes to the net.  USG does not have dup2(),
multiplexed pipes, ^Z suspension of processes, shell aliases,
or the ability to check whether or not all output has actually made
it to the terminal or not; to name but a few.

So how about it -- if you are going to send out something that runs
on BSD x.x, at the LEAST note that fact somewhere.  I will be more
than happy to give anyone my fixes that allow it to run on USG 5.0,
if I can make the time.  The shoe fits the other foot as well --
USG people should note the USGness of a piece of software and/or
documentation as well -- I have been guilty of not doing so myself.

If you try not to send out software using multiplexed pipes and
process suspension, then I'll try not to send out software using
semaphores, messages, and shared memory;
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3814 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ floyd sb1 mhuxv ]!burl!rcj