As long as we are taliking about rmgrouping ...

Mark Horton mark at cbosgd.UUCP
Wed Nov 13 16:04:19 AEST 1985

In article <451 at oliven.UUCP> rap at oliven.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) writes:
>I can't take the time to go through 400 to 500 line digests when  only
>20  lines  will  be  of interest to me.  And I've seen this in the new
>moderated newsgroups.  I've just unsubscribed to most of them for this
>reason.

I don't understand this at all.  When I come back from a 1 week trip,
I dread catching up on my news.  I would much rather go through 10 or
20 messages that a moderator agrees contribute something to the discussion
than through 100-200 messages that are full of duplicates, noise, and
mistakes.  In the current situation, I use the "catchup" command a lot
and miss potentially useful information.

Perhaps Mr. Pease is confusing moderation with digestification.  But
even in that case, the above argument only makes sense if digests aren't
grouped into useful topics.  Most moderated newsgroups are not digests,
and most digests are grouped so that one digest talks about only one
subject.

	Mark Horton