8-Bit ASCII Standard on UNIX-POSIX

Mike Threepoint linhart at topaz.rutgers.edu
Thu Apr 7 21:12:59 AEST 1988

From: linhart at topaz.rutgers.edu (Mike Threepoint)

Bo Thide (irf at kuling) recently described it [ISO 8859/1 -mod] as 191
characters cleverly designed with capitals coded as shifted miniscules,
including eth (which I'm not sure what it is), thorn, and sharp S.

To possibly add to the list, this sounds like the character set
Microsoft Windows uses and terms (by no standard I know of) "ANSI".
It has the vowels in acute, grave, circumflex, tilde, and umlaut.
The high bit characters also include cent, pound, yen, and universal
currency symbols, circle-R trademark and circle-C copyright symbols,
inverted ? and !, section and paragraph symbols, << guillemets >>,
several accents, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 characters, and superscripted 1, 2,
and 3.  The last sound like a bad idea to me, so I actually hope this
is something they threw together themselves.

Sound like ISO 8859?  If not, I would be quite interested to know just
what it is.  How much do I send to where (if you can't just mail me a
copy)?

What I would also like to see is the ASCII 0..1F (31 dec.) graphic
representations on new machines conform to the ANSI standard.  They
might look impractical, but after setting up a font using them on my
micro, it's amazing how much sense they make to me.

--
"Science does not remove the terror of the gods."  | Mike Threepoint
			-- J.R. "Bob" Dobbs	   | linhart at topaz.rutgers.edu
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." | FidoNet 1:107/513
			-- Lazarus Long		   | AT&T (201)878-0937

Volume-Number: Volume 13, Number 48